Temping is Hell (Necessary Evil, #1) by Cathy Yardley

Temping Is Hell  - Cathy Yardley

"Worst. Job. Ever. Kate O'Hara can't wait until this temp assignment is over. The woman who hired her is a psychotic pageant queen, her coworkers are convicts-turned-clerks, and it's so boringly corporate it makes her skin crawl. Even her sexy-as-sin boss, famed billionaire Thomas Kestrel, isn't enticement enough to keep her there. Once she makes enough to pay off her bills, she's out. Or so she thinks...

Next thing she knows, she's accidentally signed over her soul. Literally. And she's discovered Thomas's real mission: to kill thirteen bad guys in one year, in order to get his—now his and Kate’s—souls back.

From learning to boost the morale of some paper-pushing demons to navigating her way through blood-red tape, Kate has to work closely with her super-hot supervisor and get her flaky act together, before somebody clocks her out—p permanently!"

-❖--❖-

"Aloysius shuffled from his cramped office to the basement for his

weekly random check on the workers.

The fluorescent lights flickered high overhead, illuminating the cinderblock walls.[...] He saw the pool of blood first, thick and red, near the end of one of the tables. Then he saw a sensible low-heeled shoe dangling from distended toes.[...] He rubbed his hands over his face, feeling frustration and rage course through his veins.

"All right, damn it," he bellowed, his voice echoing against the concrete. "Which one of you ate another temp?"

-❖--❖-

Temping is Hell is a funny, quirky urban fantasy that is loads of fun. I wasn't sure I would like it at first--the writing felt clunky, and the Heroine was a bit abrasive (which really was the point)--but despite that, the story hooked me. Before I knew it, I was 30% into the read and bummed that I had to set it down in order to sleep. Now that's some good storytelling.

Other random thoughts:

There were some funny, laugh out loud scenes.

❖ The world-building was the standard "signing over your soul", but there was a cute and fun twist to the contracts and soul selling.

Loved the characters. It took me a second to warm up to Kate, the Heroine, but she eventually won me over. She still drove me batty at times, but she was supposed to--her life is a bit of a mess due to certain aspects of her personality, some good and some not so good.

I enjoyed the relationship between the H/H. I liked the buildup to something more than friendship, but the author inserted a one-nighter that felt awkward and rushed. At this point I didn't feel much chemistry between them, but there is potential as the series progresses.

There was an overuse of "grimaced, wincing, and eyebrow quirking" that drove me insane. There was also an overabundance of description (for example, setting a coffee cup down, getting up, sighing, etc) that felt intrusive. This is also what made the writing feel clunky. As a reader, I don't need that much description in a scene. Give me just enough to set the scene and then let my imagination fill in the rest. After a while, I mentally edited out the description. That worked, but a good editor should have done that for me. So tsk tsk to Entangled Publishing.

All in all a very fun read. Looking forward to Book 2.

Special note: Fans of Molly Harper's Half Moon Hollow series might enjoy this one.

Final Rating: 4 Stars