Status Update:  33%

Reading slump cure:

Finally. I'm finally out of the hideous reading slump that's been plaguing me for the last week. Seriously. It got so bad that I was forced to seek comfort in reality television......okay, I may have become addicted to 90 Day Fiancé before the reading slump truly hit, but how could I not? It's just soooo bad that it's soooo good.

But I digress.

**ahem** Back to the book. I'm really liking it so far. It's definitely compulsively readable--I hit the purchase button, turned to page 1, and before I knew it I was 30% in. For someone experiencing a reading slump, that's miraculous.

Initially, the overuse of italicized words in the dialogue drove me a bit batty, but I got over it quickly. Now I just mentally skip over the emphasis placed on the words. Also, most of the 33% has felt like one long introduction/set up. Some might find 104 pages of introduction excessive, but I find that it's worked for me. The way it's done makes you feel that much more invested in the characters as you experience this new slowly unfolding adventure with them. It's been an intriguing journey so far.

So I thank you, Old Man's War, for coming to my rescue.

Source: http://rachelbookharlot.booklikes.com