World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3) by Ben H. Winters

World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters

An excellent conclusion to a unique trilogy.

"With the doomsday asteroid looming, Detective Hank Palace has found sanctuary in the woods of New England, secure in a well-stocked safe house with other onetime members of the Concord police force. But with time ticking away before the asteroid makes landfall, Hank’s safety is only relative, and his only relative—his sister Nico—isn’t safe. Soon, it’s clear that there’s more than one earth-shattering revelation on the horizon, and it’s up to Hank to solve the puzzle before time runs out . . . for everyone."

❖❖❖❖

(Note: I won this book in a Booklikes giveaway.)

"Acceptance of loss is a destination, not a journey."

- Henry Palace

If I was worried as to how Ben Winters would end his Last Policeman trilogy, I should not have been. Winters managed it beautifully.

In World of Trouble, Henry embarks on a quest to locate his sister, Nico. Their last encounter ended on a sour note, and she disappeared before Henry had a chance to make things right. Henry cannot bear the thought of facing the end without his beloved sister.

As was the case with previous books, we get to see the deterioration of society, as well as how individuals cope with their imminent doom. Even Henry's single minded dogged determination reaches a sort of crescendo. And as always, in what I feel makes this series truly shine, Henry faces generally good people who make morally ambiguous decisions. And as has also often happened throughout this trilogy, I found myself asking what I would do in that specific situation. Winters really has a gift for presenting the shades of gray.

The first half of the book feels more like a series of vignettes. The second half of the book is what elevated it to a 5 star read for me. I liked the first half, but the second half really blew me away.

This final installment also eliminated some of the criticisms I had of Book 2, Countdown City, and caused me to upgrade my rating of it. So if you were iffy after finishing Book 2, I would recommend giving World of Trouble a chance.

As to my reaction to the ending?

All I'll say is that I was incredibly moved. I found it extremely profound and was moved to tears.

(show spoiler)

I think fans of this series will not be disappointed. World of Trouble is a wonderful end to a great trilogy.

Final Rating: 5 stars