Forever Odd - Dean Koontz

Status Update: 17%

Why didn't anyone warn me that Dean Koontz likes to use the character of Odd Thomas as a mouthpiece for his own personal ideologies and worldviews? Last night I was minding my own business when...

"When I attended PMHS, the sports teams were called the Braves. Each cheerleader wore a headband with a feather. Subsequently, this was deemed an insult to local Indian tribes, though none of the Indians ever complained. School administrators engineered the replacement of Braves with Gila Monsters.[....] In football, basketball, baseball, track, and swimming, the Monsters haven't equaled the winning record of the Braves. Most people blame it on the coaches."

Then, after describing a man who receives a manslaughter charge instead of a second degree murder charge by pretending to be remorseful while in court:

"If that particular jury could be reconstituted and polled, no doubt it would unanimously support the change from Braves to Gila Monsters."

Do I really need to explain to Mr. Koontz why the use of terms such as Braves, Redskins, etc. is a problem? And don't even get me started on the implications of that last little nugget at the end there.

But, I shook it off. And then...

...while mulling over a poverty stricken neighborhood in his town:

"Pico Mundo is a prosperous town. But no degree of prosperity can be sufficient to eliminate all misfortune, and sloth is impervious to opportunity."

Whaa? I just love when the complexities of poverty are boiled down to laziness.

I was so shocked and confused that I looked up the author bio and reviews just to be sure and yep, Koontz indeed likes to insert himself oddly and awkwardly into his narrative. *sigh* I just want to read a book about a guy who sees dead people. Why is that so hard?

I also stumbled upon this odd and problematic line:

"Ernie and Pooka Ying are Asian Americans, but there's nothing in the least Fu Manchu about them."

I don't remember this being an issue with Book 1 Odd Thomas.

Oy vey.